Engineering shop nearby?

General Phoenix Fives Stuff & Car related chat

Engineering shop nearby?

Postby rozza » Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 am

Hello, Long Time Lurker from Leamington here.

I've finally started working on the 5 again and one of the first jobs is to check and refurbish the brakes. The rear right bleed nipple sheared a while ago (but wasn't leaking). I'm not going to be able to fix it myself as it's rusted in solid and flush with the caliper.

Does anyone know of a machine shop/refurbishing shop around Leam/Cov that would be able to drill it out and re-tap it, to avoid having to get a new/refurbished one?
rozza
New member - i need to talk more

Re: Engineering shop nearby?

Postby Mozza » Wed May 11, 2016 11:03 am

You should with a bit of care be able to do this yourself, rear nipples I believe are 7mm so drill down the centre with a 6mm drill bit, carefully, which should leave the threads in the caliper intact. Just do not go down any further than nessesary otherwise you could drill into the valve seat. You should be able to pick out the remaining thread strands from the caliper thread.
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby rozza » Wed May 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for your advice but it will take me ages and come with a high risk of screwing it up because I'll be using a handheld electric drill with regular HSS bits and no vice...if I can pay someone with better kit a few quid to do it I'd rather do that!
rozza
New member - i need to talk more

Postby stuartb » Wed May 11, 2016 6:51 pm

I think that you can fit a large nipple in, if the hole's too far gone. One of my old cars had one caliper with a different size nipple (9mm I think). I remember having to go to the nearest tool shop to buy a spanner of the right size, as my tool kit didn't have one :(
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Return to General