Going uphill fast. Hillclimbing rules and regs.

General Phoenix Fives Stuff & Car related chat

Re: Going uphill fast. Hillclimbing rules and regs.

Postby stuartb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Firebucket wrote:also had it inspected at VOSA (which you have to do to put a write off back on the road)

AIUI, VOSA run an identity check to make sure that the car's not a ringer, rather than check the condition of the vehicle.
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

stuartb wrote:
Firebucket wrote:also had it inspected at VOSA (which you have to do to put a write off back on the road)

AIUI, VOSA run an identity check to make sure that the car's not a ringer, rather than check the condition of the vehicle.

Not true, they do check more than that. They don't check the quality of the repairs (and they only check a percentage of cars) but they do check the car has been repaired.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Firebucket » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:44 am

stuartb wrote:

Of course, it is the engineers report that comments on the quality of repair. The point was that Nick D was saying that after being written off a car will never attain its full value in an insurance claim. What I was saying was that if a car is repaired properly (and that includes the inspections and paperwork) then insurers do recognise that.

Since then. Nick has offered a counter about it being because of classic car status. I am not in a position of knowledge to agree/disagree with that as I only opted for classic car insurance because it was cheaper than normal insurance and I got a guaranteed value . On an ordinary policy market value would apply to any claim but I can't see why that would be reduced by its previous status given the repair documents.
Firebucket
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Firebucket » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:49 am

Vindi (Russell) wrote:
stuartb wrote:

Not true, they do check more than that. They don't check the quality of the repairs (and they only check a percentage of cars) but they do check the car has been repaired.

Russell.

Again I am not in a position of knowledge to argue, all I know is that when my car was registered cat C, the log book was surrendered by the insurance company. To get a log book the car HAD to be MOT'd and presented at VOSA as standard procedure. The engineers report was required for insurance.
Firebucket

Postby NickD » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Firebucket wrote:
stuartb wrote:

Of course, it is the engineers report that comments on the quality of repair. The point was that Nick D was saying that after being written off a car will never attain its full value in an insurance claim. What I was saying was that if a car is repaired properly (and that includes the inspections and paperwork) then insurers do recognise that.

Since then. Nick has offered a counter about it being because of classic car status. I am not in a position of knowledge to agree/disagree with that as I only opted for classic car insurance because it was cheaper than normal insurance and I got a guaranteed value . On an ordinary policy market value would apply to any claim but I can't see why that would be reduced by its previous status given the repair documents.

Because the market value is now less. With "classic cars" you are insuring against a certain amount of uniqueness or rareness. Standard road insurance is to meet the requirements of law and payouts are based on replacing vehicles with similar or equivalent.
Classic or fixed value policies, although provided by certain "normal" insurance companies are policies based on uniqueness and rareness and if you go to the right broker you can basically insure anything against any risk, if you can afford the premium. I know REIS has certain policies on the gearboxes of certain cars as to replace the casing would require a whole set of tooling to be remade and the housing cast, however part of the policy is that the box has to be regularly striped and rebuilt after a certain amount of use.

You are not going to get a fixed value policy for a 10 year old Mondeo because it is very easily replaced, unless there is a rarity to it, such as it is Mansell's touring car.
If you were to take a 20 year old Mastro or Orion, their value as a vehicle on the open market is just about zero, however, as low mileage good condition car, they do have a value because you just can't replace them. However the policies are still based on what it is felt the true value is. You won't insure your 30 year old Metro for £50k unless it was the one Diana owned.

Insurance companies will not value a write off back at "full value" on a normal, meet the law requirements road policy, because they have already paid out on it. This is why these vehicles cost less to buy in the first place. Take your MX-5 that is worth £750 to sell privately and about £400 trade. It will be written off for the smallest thing, The track rod gets bent, it costs them £150 just to recover it for you. So they write it off and offer you £400, you say no, haggle a bit and they offer you £600 and to keep the car. You stick a new £20 part on it, pay VOSA £150 to test it and it's good to go and then you want them to insure if for the same amount. Next week you bend it again and want to go though the same procedure. It won't fly, you would be told it has already been recorded as a total loss and be offered scrap value for it, which is effectively where it was meant to go after the first write off.
It's the same with newer cars, you 4 year old Mondeo is going to have a trade value around £3k Do a wing and a door, a suspension strut and a wheel, a proper insurance job is going to be close to that to repair. It's written off, and they pay out £3k, but you can get the job done using pattern and second hand parts for £500, the insurance company is not going to say that car is now worth £3k again. You would get the same car crashed again and again by the scammers.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Firebucket » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 am

NickD wrote:It's the same with newer cars, you 4 year old Mondeo is going to have a trade value around £3k Do a wing and a door, a suspension strut and a wheel, a proper insurance job is going to be close to that to repair. It's written off, and they pay out £3k, but you can get the job done using pattern and second hand parts for £500, the insurance company is not going to say that car is now worth £3k again. You would get the same car crashed again and again by the scammers.

But that is exactly what has happened with my car. It was written off because of wing and door skin damage. I replaced the wing and door skin, had it inspected and got a guaranteed valuation of £4k. There is nothing rare or unique about a MK 1 5, other than mine is in good nick, Nick. (you might have seen what I did there to inject a little humour!). I didn't go out looking for classic car insurance, it was just the cheapest option at £150 (half that if it were a UK model) as there is no NCB, just a flat rate. If I had opted for road insurance then I would have begun with zero NCB on a new policy.

The only conditions of the classic policy are that:-
a) the car is over 10 years old.
b) I have to have access to the use of another vehicle (ie, the 5 is not my daily).
c) It is kept garaged at the home address.

P.S. Apologies... this has gone way off thread!!! :D
Firebucket

Previous

Return to General