Hillclimbing & Sprinting - MX5 class

The venue for motorsport events!

Postby baldrick » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm planning on having a go mate, either hill climb or sprinting :D Nearly finished fitting Safety 21 4 point roll-bar thingy (rear supports to go in next), fitted two Corbeau seats last week and increased the head clearance between bar and helmet by bolting runners direct to the bases, not using a fitting kit like I did last time. Sourced a spare set of 15's. Harness bar and TRS harnesses been in 6 months or so.

Looking forward to it.
baldrick
Addicted to the 5

Postby bobjacqs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Excellent.
Where are you based? Not sure why I said that cos what I mean is where do you live?
I was talking to someone at Demon Tweeks this week who said the best brake pads for sprints/hill climbs are OEM ones cos racing ones won't get hot enough to come into their own. Not sure about that. Any thoughts? I need new tyres but am waiting for the new Blue Book in case there are any changes to what's allowed.
I have a rollbar in but the height isn't strictly what it should be though from what I've seen no one really enforces that rule. I may get a new seat so may gain something there.
Cheers,
Bob
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby baldrick » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Rugby mate. I was concerned about head clearance.........i just had a JDM "style" bar, which was detachable from a really sturdy harness bar. It was a very sturdy design, but not high enough. My mate club races a Fletcher Hornet and drove my 5' at Cadwell, which is where he pointed out the clearance would deffo be an issue with sprint/hill-climb scrutineers.

I think i've solved that issue now (fingers crossed) but I wanted to retain the flexibility of front/rear movement. The base of the rollbar has large thick steel plates on the underside of the floorpan as well, although at the moment they are not welded in place. The rear mounts also have steel plates on the underside.

I'm buggering around with wheel sizes and setup. I loved the 14's on Toyo's, it's on 16's on T1R's at the moment, and I am just not getting that seat-of-the-pants feedback I had. Gonna try these 15's and a lower ride height again, with Yoko Parada's. Can't afford real real stickies, but to be honest the measely power the car makes doesn't warrant chewing-gum rubber. I was able to grip and stick around most things in corners at Mallory on fairly stock tyres, but quite steep rear camber and a setup lent towards understeer. Tyre profile has suffered mind :?

Brake-pads........i'm on a set of EBC yellows (?) that came with the car, and have done three trackdays and have yet to lend themselves to fade in any way, but I'm not actually going that fast and the amount of braking at Mallory (bar the Hairpin) was minimal, as if I touched the brakes I had to regain all me momentum from the wheezy hairdryer 1600 under the lid, and that got really frustrating with slower, but bigger engined cars. Got a set of greens in a spare set of calipers knocking around the garage at the moment that'll do when I come to change.

Hopefully i shall get to Barkston with the RAF soon and see how it stacks up on one of their sprint days.

Money will be a factor until mid-010 so i'm gonna be a bit select trackday-wise, but at £35ish a pop for sprints it ain't so bad. :elmo:

Cheers

Guy
baldrick
Addicted to the 5

Postby baldrick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Pleased to report I now have feedback from the car! Whoooooooho! 205/50/15's Michelin Pilots, picked a set of 93' SE wheels with new tyres for £40 :D OK, technically the rims should be fitted with 195's but they feel brill.

the 45/16's felt so wooden in comparison, no sidewall flex.

Awesome. A happy bunny
baldrick
Addicted to the 5

Postby bobjacqs » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Congratulations! Seems a very good price. I know the SE was a limited edition and had different wheels, but how wide are they?
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby baldrick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Standard 15 size........could do with a little bit of TLC and some new centre caps if I were to be a real whore, but they are 16 yrs old! Car only had 65k on it, it was a scrappage car, but the bodywork was pretty damn ropey.

Feel's really good, even in the damp and greasy conditions out there today, far more compliant than the 16's, and the stance looks better with a higher sidewall :D
baldrick
Addicted to the 5

Postby Sarah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:55 am

Woo Hoo...Bring it on! I'm so excited! :pirate:
Sar xx
Sarah
The Bionic Woman

Postby bobjacqs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Ah you're back. You had me worried as you haven't posted since Oulton. :D
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby DaveyF » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:19 pm

bobjacqs wrote:Ah you're back. You had me worried as you haven't posted since Oulton. :D

The rumours were exaggerated - I didn't kill her :lol:
DaveyF
1992 Eunos Roadster 1.6, Silver Stone, bits from HKS, KYB, Racing Beat, Wolfrace, Toyo & JVC; also available with stickers
http://www.eunosroadster.org.uk
DaveyF
Scarecrow Enthusiast - Mobile Road Block

Location: The tiny bit of Coventry that's still in Warwickshire.

Postby Sarah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm

bobjacqs wrote:Ah you're back. You had me worried as you haven't posted since Oulton. :D

Sooorry...i was so pooped! I've been meaning to send you a pm...I will go do that now LOL.

DaveyF wrote:The rumours were exaggerated - I didn't kill her :lol:

Did i not say that my life flashed before my eyes? :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sar xx
Sarah
The Bionic Woman

Postby Vic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Let us know some dates for me callender. I would like to come along
to see whats what .......... :)
MeatLoaf is for Lunch Not for Listening to.......
Mein fahrzeug ist zum himmel gegangen Es lebe mein z.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you send the wall across the field once you've hit it.
Vic
Goldmember

Postby bobjacqs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 am

Will do, dates aren't finalised yet but I'll post as soon as they come out.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby Sarah » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Vic wrote:Let us know some dates for me callender. I would like to come along
to see whats what .......... :)

Yay! 8)
Sar xx
Sarah
The Bionic Woman

Postby bobjacqs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:43 pm

I see five people have registered so far for this year's HSA championship in the MX5 class and last year's championship winner, John Gallagher, has moved to a different class with an Integra Type R.
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/competitors.asp
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby theladd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 am

hi there.
yes i'm a no2 on the list. but im not sure how soon i'll compete, as i broke my arm 6 weeks ago and its taking a while to heal, have still got lots of things i need to do to the ''5''
eunos in classic matt red
theladd
Faster pedal engaged

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:14 pm

theladd wrote:hi there.
yes i'm a no2 on the list. but im not sure how soon i'll compete, as i broke my arm 6 weeks ago and its taking a while to heal, have still got lots of things i need to do to the ''5''

Oh No! I hope it heals soon :( I've yet to finish all of the things i need to add to my car too....I'm in a mad panic cos i want to get registered and go play with Bob a.s.a.p 8)
Sar xx
Sarah
The Bionic Woman

Postby MattB13 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Sarah wrote:Did i not say that my life flashed before my eyes? :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But did Davey manage to brake late enough to cause you to remind him that a corner was coming up...... :roll: :lol:

Sarah wrote:i want to get registered and go play with Bob a.s.a.p 8)

When will you learn? When!!? :wink:
Matt

Kinky Kate - Mk1 1.6
Classic Pink (mostly), comes with own climbing frame.

NO LONGER BROKEN!!!

loopd.com/MattB13
MattB13
Max5 Racing - Photographer - Admin

Location: At a racetrack somewhere. Or failing that, Solihull.

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm

MattB13 wrote:
Sarah wrote:Did i not say that my life flashed before my eyes? :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But did Davey manage to brake late enough to cause you to remind him that a corner was coming up...... :roll: :lol:

ROFLMAO! :oops:

Sarah wrote:i want to get registered and go play with Bob a.s.a.p 8)

MattB13 wrote:When will you learn? When!!? :wink:

Never...ever...ever...ever....ever :D tee hee
Sar xx
Sarah
The Bionic Woman

Postby bobjacqs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:20 am

Until Sarah starts playing with me I've decided to amuse myself with a little blogging. 'Beam Breaking' is what I've called it and I hope to recount my exploits at hill climbing and sprinting this year. Here's the address if you're interested.
http://bobjacqs.wordpress.com/
Cheers,
Bob.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby stuartb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Bob - what did you do with the Chevvy? Did you sell it or do you still have it?
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

PreviousNext

Return to Squealing Tyres