Getting away from it all

Involves getting your arse off the sofa, apparently!

Getting away from it all

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Thought it might be nice to share what we all do to get away from it all, whether it's bikes, running, climbing, canoes or whatever else you're up to ... where have you been and what did you do, what have you got planned etc etc.

Part of the reason for this is I wonder how many of us have similar interests outside of cars? We might be able to rekindle some interests, motivate each other into taking up new things, or even link up somewhere to cycle, climb or whatever else.

I've been into a variety of outdoor pursuits since I was in school and my second job was as an outdoor pursuits instructor, but these days I don't get out much at all. Same as a lot of people I guess ... job, kids, cars etc don't leave a lot of time for anything else but I'm just starting to get back into Cycling again ... I could probably be tempted back into canoeing, climbing, all sorts.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Re: Getting away from it all

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 pm

I'll start with my favourite MTB trails, Coed Y Brenin. It's one of the older sets of bike trails around, but I used to go there every other weekend, so even though I don't get there much now they are like an old friend. If you've never been on a trail that was designed and built specifically for bikes, you really need to try some.

They were built and extended over several years, at a cost of several million pounds, in conjunction with the Forestry Commission. Most of the trails are also sponsored (the Karrimor trail, Red Bull etc) and I think the EU was tapped for some cash as well as the Welsh Government.

Coed Y Brenin is in North Wales, just about in striking distance of Snowdonia. It's a long drive to get there but the trails have been so nicely sculpted that it's really worth the effort. There is a decent visitors centre to park at with a bike shop, café, bike wash etc and then a variety of trails from some shorter family friendly trails to all day trails that will challenge just about anyone.

I'm kind of wondering at this point why I haven't been in a couple of years ... anyone fancy a go? Now is probably about the perfect time of year, not too hot and flies / midges beginning to die off... I may not have a working MX5 to my name but my bike is always good to go. Bear with me though, my bike might be flash but I'm about as unfit now as I ever have been!!

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recr ... oedyBrenin

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Little-Matt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 pm

I have ridden the trails at Coed y Brenin and Betws y Coed, loved them both, but I have neglected my riding for many a year now. I would love a trip back up that way and hit the hills.

We should make an effort to see if anyone wants to go there, maybe make a long weekend of it. Who's up for a huck around the hills?
Little-Matt
Addicted to the 5

Postby stuartb » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:21 am

If you're thinking about hiking in the Welsh hills then I'm up for it. I've done Snowdon once and I seem to recall it took ages but the snowball fight at the top made it worthwhile.
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Return to Healthy Stuff!