The PITA for sale threads....

Anything you'd like to see different?

Postby raydar27 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Dear Boys and Girls...

Just recently this topic has been a real pain in the a#rse for us Mods - For Sale adds from newbs.
i kept out of it totally until enough was enough and was leaving a bad taste in my mouth and on the forum. So iv Now edited it and locked it :evil: (something we rarely need to do!!).

This thread will be the definitive vote as to what we want as an area (Unless Nick, Cerbs or i decide to run a dictatorship :wink: ).

The original plan was to make the for sale section visible to all but only allow posts from registered members with a warning about giving out personal details stuck at the top of the forum as Rules.

However, on reflection i think it would be a better idea to have a "For Sale - Made public" section and keep our current section for members only. This would mean that when you were just browsing the forum and not logged in, then you would see and be able to read the new section "For Sale - Made Public " but wouldnt be able to post on it until registered. We would then keep the current For sale/trade/wanted section locked away exclusively for members only.
However, In order to post in either, you would need to register.

After this, we then have the issue of do we let newbs join up and instantly post a for sale thread - yes? no? maybe above a certain post count?

We ask this, as Cerbs put it, we do this all Voluntary and is sponsored by Cerbs himself and no one else - not even the Owners club (Yet... intalks with cerbs) !!! Hardly fair when ebay and autotrader charge and yet we allow a newb to instantly join and post without any contribution to the forum - think about it.... we do it voluntary!!

My personal thoughts are to set minimum number of meaningful posts before selling... its privilege for members and not a right for newbs and then implement the new "for sale - made public" section. What do we think?

Now remember, we are trying to listen and do as per the majority BUT you cant have it both ways. Remember that Cerbs, Nick and myself do this voluntary without any form of benefit to ourselves. **** If you dont like something then please offer to help change it - but MAINLY be nice to each other and WELCOME people rather than turn them away :mrgreen:
Too much spec to list...
-- Phoenix Five Meets -- First Wednesday of every month Click Here For Info!
raydar27
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Re: The PITA for sale threads....

Postby Valentinik » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 pm

My first post was meant to be a little humorous maybe it didn't come across that way. However i do have an issue with people who contribute nothing to the forum advertising things on here especially if it is their first post.

This is meant to be a community, not an advertising website. Will we be seeing the members with one post (selling their cars) again after it has sold? I think thats pretty obvious.
Valentinik
Has a bigger Supercharger than you!

Postby raydar27 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:41 pm

its just a topic that needs answering buddy :thumb: that is all, no one targeted :thumb: 8)
Too much spec to list...
-- Phoenix Five Meets -- First Wednesday of every month Click Here For Info!
raydar27

Postby stuartb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't see the point of having 2 for sale sections - it'd just be confusing.

What's wrong with having 3 groups - newbies, regulars & admins. Newbies can post new threads anywhere but For Sale, Regulars can post in all sections. If the forum software allows it, let newbie post comments on For sale threads. Movement from newbies to regulars can then be on request - ideally if you turn up to a meet or contribute to the forum.
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Firebucket » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm

First off, a great big thank you to Cerbs, Steve, and Nick for their work providing and maintaining the forum. I hope that nothing I have written appears to be anything other than supportive of them, in fact my point was that their job is made more difficult by non-mods repremanding newbies rather than just leaving it to the mods.

Secondly, whilst I am most grateful to Cerbs for his donations, I for one would be more than willing to contribute proportionally or by subscription to the ex's of maintaining the site, and said so when I joined the community.

My opinion is that there needs to be only one for sale section, which is for the benefit of members. I say this because members are, in my experience, prepared to sell items to other P5ers for less than they could realistically acheive on ebay, but may not be prepared to sell at such reduced prices to outsiders. If P5ers want to sell to outsiders and achieve market value ebay is already in place.

On the question of newbies joining and posting "for sale" I see nothing wrong with this as the advert is visible to P5ers only and is not really a free advert of any notable circulation outside of that community. There may well be P5 members yet to buy a car and grateful to have the sale brought to their attention. Indeed, what is wrong with MX5 related objects being offered exclusively (as far as the tread is concerned) to P5 enthusiasts. If the seller wants a wider audience they must advertise elsewhere too.

So in response to the questions posed:-
Thanks again to Cerbs, Steve, and Nick for the work they do maintaining a forum that we all enjoy.
I would be happy to subscribe to a club that I enjoy so much.
IMO there is no need to change the For Sale section at all, nor to introduce another one.
IMO newly registered members (but not trolls) should be allowed to post adverts straight away.
Firebucket
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby gimmeablackun » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm

I agree with Rob. (Well said once more mate)

I also think that anyone wanting to sell a car on a forum really needs to spend a little time researching that forum, and maybe contributing a little something before placing an ad.

Most other forums won't allow a for sale post straight away.

This is a fantastic open and friendly forum and I will support any decision made.

I do, however, reserve the right to show my disdain at those willing to post a for sale as their first contribution! :thumb:

A simple solution is a first post goes directly to a mod. The mod then has the chance to politely ask the first poster to make a contribution to the forum. £10 allows direct access. First post could be restricted to the "introduce yourself" thread then an ad is £5.

Let's cover Cerbs outgoings and earn a little for the club eh?
1990 White 1.8 FM2 road legal track weapon
gimmeablackun

Postby Firebucket » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm abit confused Neil! You say you agree with me but propose something different. You've lost me mate!
Firebucket

Postby gimmeablackun » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry bud - I agree with the majority - just the "first post for sale" bit.

There's no need for 2 for sale threads. I think we should keep the for sales private (we all benefit from P5 rates for mates).

We tend to post for sales here before posting elsewhere (nutz, eBay etc)

We all know where to sell items at inflated prices (nutz, eBay, Autotrader, pistonheads etc)

I don't accept the ideology that all first posters going straight to the for sale section are nieve. Most will be just taking advantage of our relaxed rules. It's generally accepted that you need to contribute before being able to sell items.

A £10 charge would benefit the forum. Members will still get a for sale thread. Why complicate things?
1990 White 1.8 FM2 road legal track weapon
gimmeablackun

Postby JDM_Clare » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm a relatively new member, and have posted ONE for sale add, (my hard top, since sold on fb, then deleted the ad :D) BUT I had posted on other topics first, AND attended a p5 meet in June :)

I really don't agree with people joining the forum just to sell something, although there are obvious exceptions to which some of us could benefit, ie, a car. BUT, like some of you have said, it's not free to advertise on auto trader/ eBay etc, so why should it be free here?

The troublesome part is deciphering between genuine people selling stuff to enthusiasts and other people taking advantage of the free forum.

SO... I propose the following...

To post a for Sale ad, you should have to have made at least 10 previous posts, OR, have been a member for a certain time period, say 30 days, BEFORE being able to post a for sale ad.

Surely that would be the easiest, most beneficial way for us all; avoiding spam sales, ignorant users, advantageous newbs and any fees.

ALTHOUGH, I do like the proposed idea of new users buying their way in for a small one off fee to post for sale stuff? ;)
Get out and Drive
(3 years, 3 mx5, 4 engines, 3 gearboxes, ∞ litres of oil... )
JDM_Clare
Addicted to the 5

Postby NickD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Right Chaps,
Just to put some direction on this confusion.
Phoenix Fives has always been an on-line pub environment. We expect you all to be adult and be responsible for yourselves. If you start something, then you can expect that the big bloke sitting quietly in the corner might just finish it, that's the law of pubs. As it's a pub, not a club, none of the mods, admin or whatever, so Steve, Cerbs or me need anyone to pay for the forum, however thank you for the offer.

This pub has a notice board where people can post stuff of sale. Treat it as that. If someone you don't know post an item of interest it is good for all, and in this instance an MX-5 is totally relevant. It's a one off and we don't need to glass them in the face over it.

If it turns out to be a trader trying to exploit the forum them one of us three can deal with it and are more than happy to delete the post, and none of us will have a problem with anyone calling them a twat in the mean time.

So just to clarify, if we are to have a for sale section, then it is a resource on this public forum. If a private seller has an item of interest, then if they register, they can post. To be honest, someone telling us their name is Brian and they like to wear girls underwear on a Friday before they post that they want to sell their car is pointless to the fact that their car might be of interest to someone on the forum. I see it as far worse than someone who has to post 10 cynical posts before they try to sell you a kitchen.
So the landlords will take down the kitchen ads and Wendy from China selling turbos.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Mozza » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 pm

My thoughts,
Two for sale threads, one for item sold by P5ers which is public, but can not be used by non P5 members and only after say 10 posts, not everybody is as chatty as some people.

One for sale thread for MX5s cars only, and is public and can be used by anyone.
But, and I do not know if this is possible with our phpBB site.
That the advert is not visible until checked by a mod or a nominated Vetter. (Could be any member with privileges.)

I'm with Rob on this, why are we letting Cerbs pay for the club web site, that can't be right.
Maybe a minor charge for the privilege of non members posting in the car section will help cover it (£2.00), but not so much that they would be better off putting it on Autotrader, with a larger customer base.
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza

Postby greg#2 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:19 am

Don't worry about the cost of the site, that is background noise.

I get more than a tenner's enjoyment out of p5 per month, i will pay for it!
Cerbs, pm me the details of who needs paying or your bacs details so i can reimburse you, whatever is easiest.

Tell you what, put a little 'sticky' advert for my business in the corner somewhere (not a banner, just a locked thread) and i can put it through the books (i would need to justify it to HMRC) - Done

Of course myself and everyone else understands the pub ethos, but you can't expect the sort of person who puts a first post ad up to 'get' us. they are just placing a free ad. In the scheme of things, there aren't many pisstakers and a nonchelant shrug of the shoulders should be enough, IMO.

obvious scammers and traders are obvious and are quickly dispatched by admin as is, i don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, tbh.
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2

Postby Benny54 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Warning!
Posting in the 'For Sale' section may result in the following:
Duelling pistons at dawn and handbrake turns at high noon.
Is this the P5s or the Peeved 5s? :o Aren't you all supposed to be batting for the same side - MX5's?

Keep it simples, keep it straight, stick to it, don't deviate........1 x For Sale section with entries vetted/taken out by Sheriffs C, N & S.

B54
I'm not a true enthusiast but I am grateful to this site for allowing my MX5 sale posts to go ahead without hassle/being nobbled/removed (never made it past the OC mods)/shot down or charged for and for not having to obtain a required post count first, wouldn't know what to say anyway :oops:
Benny54
Faster pedal engaged

Postby Vic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm

All I said was ............... :arrow:

Please may we have the For Sale section made public.

It would help many of us with parts standard or not to get them sold on.
In the main it would help forum members sell the Whole Car to a much wider audience.
Which would encourage other non members to join up.

By the above I was kinda aiming for 'made public' in the read only way.
It would help P5 Members sell to a wider audience.
Sell the whole car to a non convert and get them interested in this brilliant forum.
MeatLoaf is for Lunch Not for Listening to.......
Mein fahrzeug ist zum himmel gegangen Es lebe mein z.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you send the wall across the field once you've hit it.
Vic
Goldmember

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Vic wrote:All I said was ............... :arrow:

Please may we have the For Sale section made public.

It would help many of us with parts standard or not to get them sold on.
In the main it would help forum members sell the Whole Car to a much wider audience.
Which would encourage other non members to join up.

By the above I was kinda aiming for 'made public' in the read only way.
It would help P5 Members sell to a wider audience.
Sell the whole car to a non convert and get them interested in this brilliant forum.

I'd agree with this as well, I think having 2 forums with For Sale ads would be over the top, and asking for subs would potentially put off new people. All we need is for non members to be able to see the For Sale ads, if they are interested they will need to join to be able to reply.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Fred Gassit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Deleted... :wavey:
Last edited by Fred Gassit on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
30AE - Golden Shred 2 - The Sequel
Black S-Special Roadster 1.8 - Scrapped...
Fred Gassit

Postby Fred Gassit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Loving the auto word replace...
Last edited by Fred Gassit on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
30AE - Golden Shred 2 - The Sequel
Black S-Special Roadster 1.8 - Scrapped...
Fred Gassit

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:48 pm

It will be funny for some people but pretty crude and odd for most. You need to think about someone how someone looking for a club to join would view us...

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby NickD » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Sorry, the last thing this place needs is someone worrying about how the outside world views it.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Cerberus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Vindi (Russell) wrote:It will be funny for some people but pretty crude and odd for most. You need to think about someone how someone looking for a club to join would view us...

Russell.

The spam threads still get deleted when the mods see them. But this way the google search spider doesn't add another hit.

The way this works....
Spammer adds post
Google spider catalogues the site
Spots the spammers URL
Adds one to their popularity score
Spammers URL rises in search results order

Doesn't matter how quick we delete the thread the spider gets there first and the spammers objective is achieved

By censoring the words the spider doesn't add a vote. Spammer objective is not achieved.

We have a giggle.

Then we delete the thread. We have left two of the latest five because we needed a laugh.

Does that all make sense?
http://www.Eunos-Roadster.co.uk - The Blog
何もそれ以上ではありません、ハロー・キティよりJDM!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Forum Suggestions