Shelsley Walsh last weekend

The venue for motorsport events!

Shelsley Walsh last weekend

Postby greg#2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 am

Due to a late substitution because of my single seater blowing up, i took Raceworx to Shelsley hillclimb on saturday and sunday instead.

I have only recently done anything competitive with cars, i did a sprint at MIRA a few weeks ago and this weekend was my first time up a hill. That is it.

The first run on saturday was pretty much finding out where it went left and where it went right, so my time of 44 secs wasn't entirely surprising, i had a word with myself about where to go flat (everywhere) and how to tackle the crucial 'S' section and my second time of 40.15 pretty well bore that out. for my first competitive run i braked much deeper into the bottom S and found a little time 40.09

I had a rethink for my last run and had an extra brave pill and managed to pull off a 39.40 (cue lots of Sebastian Vettel-esque "ess..........ess" caught by my video camera that conflicted with my cool outer demeanour)

On sunday, i was surprised to see a couple of other MX5's there (i was in a class of Elises and Exiges on saturday, so had to make myself feel better by coming last but one - beating a Clio Williams in the process) One of whom was our own Bobjacques :wavey: cheers for the gloves buddy

Anyway, because of the damp conditions, saturday's times were never in danger but i managed to finish with a 40.20 on my last run, despite a mega-smokey coming out of the top S which would have damaged my Vmax over the finish line quite badly.

The organisers had merged 2 classes, so there were still a couple of lotii in our group, but other than them i was fastest!!!!!!! get in...

all in all, i had a brilliant weekend - who'd have thought that chasing fractions of a second could have been so utterly addictive

The hillclimbing set are a lovely bunch to boot, after going to so many track days and horse competitions in my time where people aren't OVERLY friendly, it made a refreshing change to be made to feel SO welcome by everybody, i can see myself doing a lot more of this sort of thing

Greg
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby kristabella » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:41 am

Greg, this is GREAt to read that you had such a good time. Dad was there spectating as the Lola is going out for the last time next week for the year at Loton as it's the end of the season.

He took photos of the car and I was like "who is that driving??!?!?". I was up at the National at Chatsworth in the POURING rain :(

Please to hear you had a good time, get yourself to Loton Park next weekend if you fancy having a little look around 8)
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
kristabella
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby greg#2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I can't get to Loton next weekend unfortunately, but i am at Curburough on 3rd October.

Can you get the piccies posted up, is that possible? i would be interested to see them. Ther was an official type photographer there, but there was no advertised way to buy anything off him, odd, maybe it will come through with the MAC results sheet!

Greg
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2

Postby bobjacqs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Good to see you again, Greg. Fastest MX5! Congratulations!
Check out my blog and you'll see a photo of yourself.
http://wp.me/pRcdo-6z
What about that in car video? Are you going to post it online?
See you at Curborough.
Bob
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby greg#2 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 am

great write up Bob, i don't currently know how to extract video from that camera, i will have a go at posting it on you tube or something, failing that, i will bring the camera to the next monthly if you like

I only managed to get my first practise on camera before the battery went flat, but i got my 39.40 run on tape from the previous day if that's any good to you

Greg
greg#2

Postby bobjacqs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Greg,
I persevered with my video clamp and have got it set up. Did the scrutineer say anythoing to you about tethering it? And if so what do you tether? - the clamp or camera? Cheers. Bob.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby greg#2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:07 pm

if yours is basically similar to mine, ie clamping jaws and a screw in camera mount, then the scrute will want to see the camera zip tied to the mount in case the plastic screw in bit fails on the camera.

Are you going to Curb on 3rd?

Greg
greg#2

Postby bobjacqs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm there on the 2nd (Sat) and the following Sunday - the 10th.
I got the video clamp fixed and ran with it on at Loton Park yesterday and today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbDcREKQS0E
Good luck on Sunday.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby greg#2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:27 pm

looking good bob, you certainly get more for your money at loton than you do at Shelsley, looked like a good run up the hill

See you soon, good luck on the 2nd

Greg
greg#2

Postby kristabella » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 am

greg#2 wrote:looking good bob, you certainly get more for your money at loton than you do at Shelsley, looked like a good run up the hill

Greg

I'll tell my dad this! He'll be well chuffed
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
kristabella
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby greg#2 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Check me out, look what i've managed to do. I've even edited it and everything

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhS3XN5F3I

Greg
greg#2

Postby NickD » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 pm

There was a funny noise right at the end?

RaceWorx FTMFW :!: :twisted:
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby stuartb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:39 pm

That looked quite a tidy run, until about half-way when you stopped unexpectedly for 5 seconds :)
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby bobjacqs » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Just seen this - Great vid. I'll have to study it carefully to see where I go wrong. Looked very smooth. Thanks, Greg.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Return to Squealing Tyres