Loton Park Hillclimb

The venue for motorsport events!

Loton Park Hillclimb

Postby bobjacqs » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

There were five MX5s (six drivers) at Loton Park Hillclimb yesterday. Room for lots more :-)
See http://bobjacqs.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/loton/
Bob
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby NickD » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Bob, well done, just watched your video. In my view you need to carry a lower gear through the corners to stop the engine bogging on the way out.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby bobjacqs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks, Nick. I respect your opinion. PM sent. Cheers, Bob.
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby kristabella » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am

Well done Bob - you didn't lift up Cedar Straight once, that's quite impressive - fallow looked hairy!

Looking forward to the next report.
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
kristabella
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby greg#2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am

Also, a big round of applause for Mozza, he was there on his very first hillclimb and it would appear that he came out the other side unscathed.

Come on mozza, get a report up.......I'm waiting!!!

ps. well done Bob
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby hotpurple » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 am

That circuit looks a bit scary all the way round. There's not a lot of runoff is there? :shock:

Well done everyone who competed, I'm not sure I'd have the balls to drive that fast around there!
94 RS-Limited with added Mazdaspeed! - SOLD :-(
2001 S2 Elise Sports Tourer
hotpurple
Stays in B&B's. Wuss.

Location: Under the car, repairing bits that have broken and/or fallen off..

Postby kristabella » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm

You should see the guys who do it in 40 seconds...
kristabella

Postby Mozza » Thu May 05, 2011 6:13 am

O/K Gregg, my first report of many, I hope.
So this was my very first trip up a hill and I didn’t want to make it my last. The first run must have looked very tame to the paying spectators gathered on a good vantage point on the bank at the triangle.

I took my first run very steady in a time of just over 86sec, but think I could have gone up quicker on my push bike.
So nothing exciting on the first run it was just a case of trying to remember where the corners were. Still wasn’t sure on the second run but managed to knock 10 seconds off at 76+ seconds.

So that was practice over and done with, and this is when I thought, I still need about another 10 practice runs to get close to Bob Ridge-Stearn, who was holding my hand for the first event and explaining what to do.
Bob was constantly around 70-71 seconds and by the end of the day only just missing out on breaking his 70sec target. Where the hell do I find another 5seconds to even get close to him, may be I’ll do better in the afternoon.

First timed run,
I may be losing a little time at the start, so must try and avoid any wheel spin, I didn’t and finished in a time of 75.78 Seconds. So there are five MX5s taking part and it is looking as though this one is going to be last unless I do something drastic in my last run of the day, I had a check through the medical box, I’m sure Gregg had given me some of his brave pills that worked for him at Shelsley Walsh, so it looks like I’m going on this last trip without them.

Second timed run,
Every thing went well, apart from a big lock up with clouds of blue smoke at the tight triangle bend flat out up the straight and braking later at the top, now this is a lot quicker I think, will have blown all the opposition away with this run.
Not so, finished in 75.31 seconds, only knocking half a second off, how did that happen, felt sure another 10 seconds had come off my time. It must have been the additional weight of the engine cross brace I bought at lunchtime and fitted from Allan Mugglestone who has a well tweeked 1.8 with a really nice independent throttle body set up, if only I had the dosh.

Next event is Shelsley Walsh this weekend, but there only one other MX5 to play with, which happens to be a Mk3 2litre owned by Tony Thomas who won the Championship last year, so expect I’ll get another good thrashing, extremely god fun though, can’t wait.

Last edited by Mozza on Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza

Postby kristabella » Thu May 05, 2011 7:55 am

Good report! Nice to see that you are enjoying it :-) Many a person believes they have shaved about 2 seconds off their personal best, especially when it feels really hairy, I've heard that story many a time.

Good luck at Shelsley - and avoid the rhubarb. If you can, walk the hill in the morning (take some oxygen with you) and sit at bottom esses and watch the likes fo Scott Moran approaching at 130mph. ARGH!!!
kristabella

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 am

Sounds like a lot of fun this, I might give it a go later in the year / early next year as I want to get an idea of where my car / my skills are compared to others.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby kristabella » Thu May 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Make sure you read Mr Blue Book first.
kristabella

Postby greg#2 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 pm

nice one mozza.

only you could get away with that kneecap/short combo :wink:

don't worry, you will soon be hassling the likes of Mr. Thomas

my entirely unscientific approach is only lift off if it is absolutely imminent that you are going to hit something really big and heavy, other than that, 'if in doubt - flat out' it works for me...
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2

Postby bobjacqs » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Well done. And for those of you thinking to have a go yourselves, I met a few more MX5 novices at Werrington Park Hillclimb in Cornwall a few weeks ago - http://bobjacqs.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/werrington-2/
Bob
bobjacqs
Addicted to the 5

Postby NickD » Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Ha, I know Tim and Fran.

Liking ther video 8)
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Return to Squealing Tyres